Tuesday, February 8, 2011

One Serendipit(r)ee Hill



Sometimes, things we start doing with no intention of allowing to become an integral part of our lives, end up becoming more important to us than we would’ve imagined at that time. In this article, I write about one such TV series I started watching out of boredom, only to be surprised with what I’d inadvertently discovered.

The show One Tree Hill, conceptualized over two step-brothers, Nathan Scott and Lucas Scott, who come from two different worlds altogether seemed pretty interesting. Nathan hails from the wealthiest family in town, while Lucas, a loner, is the only child of his single working mother. Nathan rules the Tree Hill High School basketball court, while Luke rules the Tree Hill riverside basketball court. As both their worlds clashed, bringing about refreshing and disparate developments along the way, I got sucked into their lives… Mesmerized and yearning to learn more about them.


The reason why OTH is so close to my heart, why I consider it to be so special is inexplicable. OTH's characters, stories, music, spirit... Speak to me. I feel the love between Nathan and Haley as they always stand by each other through good times and bad, I feel the cheerfulness and childishness of Brooke when she wins little competitions like Best Choreographer of her cheerleading squad or when she surpasses all the boundaries to land up at the back of someone's car entirely naked to 'achieve' him, I feel the pain and wrath of Peyton as she deals with her step-mother's death and the sudden revelation of her biological mother dying with cancer just as she encounters her, I feel the despair and confusion of Lucas as he is forced to choose between someone he strongly wanted all his life and someone who wants him strongly with all her life... I feel it all.


OTH is not just about entertaining the viewers with its characters’ experiences; it’s about teaching us through their failures, as well as successes. It’s not about sermonizing or preaching; it’s about learning about life as it comes. With Nathan struggling with the pressure he’s succumbed into by his father, or Lucas attempting to get out of his comfortable space to face his arrogant step-brother, or Haley taking the chance of increasing proximities with an evil person just to protect her best friend…. OTH is not just about high-school drama. OTH is about Life.


What brings out the spirit of the stories more than the impeccable direction is its music. Its music remains fresh, forever. Even after listening to an OTH song five years after having heard it on the show, not only does its rhythm ring in my ears, but it also brings along nostalgia of the story it’s connected to…


I’m still rather skeptical of how to put my feelings across the way I want to. I’m pretty sure OTH may not seem the same if seen through someone else’s eyes. But if you look at it through my eyes, you’ll see so much more than just some TV series that airs on The CWTV every Monday… You’ll see vitality… You’ll see passion… You’ll see sentience.


I sign off with one of my favorite OTH quotes:
If you look close enough to the world around you, you might see someone like you. Someone trying to find their way. Someone trying to find their self. Sometimes it seems like you’re the only one in the world whose struggling, whose frustrated, unsatisfied, barely getting by. But that feeling’s a lie. And if you just hold on, just find the courage to face it all for another day, someone or something will find you and make it all okay. Because we all need a little help sometimes. We need someone to remind us that it won’t always be this way. That someone is out there. And that someone will find you.



So, to all the TV junkies out there, do you have a TV show you're as passionate about? :)




By Chahita Lalchandani




No comments: